Our organizing interns play a key role in building the movement we need to transform New York! You’ll help educate community members about legislation, plan and facilitate events, recruit and mobilize students and neighbors, and more. With many different roles to play, you can join us and learn what it takes to win transformative change. This role is perfect for anyone looking to take their organizing skills to the next level!
Time Commitment: 8-16 hrs/week
Location: In Person (Poughkeepsie, NY) or Remote
Key Responsibilities/Skills Developed:
- Deep Canvassing: Learning to connect with community members on the phone or in-person through our fights like healthcare, immigration, housing, and energy justice. Encourage them to share their experiences, ask them elicitive questions, and gauge their support of campaigns.
- Shift Facilitation: Facilitating phonebank/canvass shifts (monitoring ice breaker, slack, and debrief), answering questions throughout the shift and during the debrief, collecting questions/feedback for staff
- Meeting Prep and Facilitation: Preparing for and leading meetings/trainings
- Organizational Recruitment: Talking to our lists of students and community members about ways they can get involved and signing them up for volunteer shifts.
- Relational Recruitment: Having conversations with your friends, family, and classmates about our campaigns and get them involved in various volunteer opportunities, like calling a legislator or joining you for a phonebank shift
- Political Education: Engaging with readings and discussions on organizing theory, movement building, organizational culture
- Fundraising: Participating as a fundraising team member in our fundraising drive from June 7 – June 13 by asking your personal networks to donate
- Intern Management: Checking in with your team of interns each week to help them set meaningful goals, gather feedback, and prepare reports
- Data Management: Uploading and monitoring data in our CRM
- Event Planning: Planning and doing outreach for events, political education sessions, etc.
- Admin/Communications Work: Supporting our admin and communications teams with day to day tasks and projects